Designed in the Tudor style of architecture, the construction of the Bengaluru Palace was begun in1862 and completed in 1944. In 1884 the palace was bought by the then ruler of Mysore Chamaraja Wodeyar and today the family continues to own the palace and its surrounding grounds spread across over four hundred acres.
Besides fortifications on the exterior – towers, battlements and turrets, inside, the palace is replete with neo-classical furniture, wood pillars and artefacts, floral motifs, cornices and relief paintings on the ceiling.
The ground floor consists of an open courtyard with granite seats that are covered with fluorescent blue ceramic tiles and also contains a small ballroom. Upstairs, on the first floor, an elaborate and larger Durbar Hall with enormous stained glass windows, reminiscent of the Gothic style, is accessed by climbing a decorated staircase that climbs past walls adorned with paintings.